TWD - Cranberry Upside-Downer




I am so excited to be the one to have picked this recipe for the week! I started baking with Tuesdays with Dorie two years ago around this time. At that time, it looked like it might be around 4 years before i picked a recipe. So to find out that it was my turn, I was ecstatic! I've had so much fun baking with all the great people who participate with TWD and have enjoyed making blogging buddies all over the country... and world!

This weeks recipe was actually partially picked by my Hubby. There are not that many recipes left! Can you believe that soon we will have made EVERYTHING in the book? But the Cranberry Upside-Downer was an easy pick, especially for this time of year.
I was able to find frozen cranberries, although I almost couldn't find them and almost went with cherries. This one was very easy to make, the only thing i worried about was flipping the cake. But alas everything turned out beautifully!! I love the color, the scent and look of this cake once flipped. We didn't' wait to long and the Hubby and I were eating it up! This was a winner!!!


I hope you all enjoyed making this one as much as I did!!

Cranberry Upside-Downer

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup minus 2 TBSP sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans…I used walnuts
2 cups cranberries-fresh or frozen(if frozen, do not thaw)I used fresh
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 whole milk
1/3 cup red currant jelly, for glazing the cake
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Put a 8X2 inch round cake pan on a baking sheet.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
Melt 6 TBSP of the butter in a small saucepan. Sprinkle in 6 TBSP of the sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour this evenly over the bottom of the cake pan, then scatter over the nuts and top with the cranberries, smoothing the layer and pressing it down gently with your fingertips. Set aside.
Working with a stand mixer, preferabley fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the remaining stick of butter on medium speed until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue to beat until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed. Pour in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Mix in the milk, then the rest of the dry ingredients. Spoon the batter over the cranberries and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove it from the oven and run a blunt knife between the sides of the pan and the cake. Carefully turn the cake out onto a serving platter. If any of the berries stick to the pan-as they might-just scrape them off with a table knife and return them to the cake.
Warm the jelly in a small saucepan over low heat, or do this in a microwave oven. Gently brush the glaze over the hot cake.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
This looks so darn yummy!

Also, I thought of you tonight as I was watching Gossip Girl.

XOXO!!
Nickki said…
Your cake looks gorgeous! Stunning colours. Thanks for choosing this, I've been waiting to make it for so long! It was definitely worth the wait :-)
looks delicious! i'm waiting for membership to reopen for TWD. what do you think they're going to do next?
Hi there,
just found your blog and i'm loving your recipes!
Hindy said…
Thanks for choosing this delicious recipe!
A perfect pick for this time of year! I so enjoyed baking along with you and visiting your sweet blog!

Kindy, ldh
Cakelaw said…
Thanks for hosting us this week Sabrina. This was a great pick - I'd make this again.
Jules Someone said…
What a great pick! I made a peach version. This is definitely worth another try when cranberries are more available to me. Thanks!
Peggy said…
This was a great pick! Loved it so much. Will make again and again. I've been eyeing it for a long time. Yours looks sooo yummy and love the color your photo brought out in those cranberries! Thank you for hosting and for making a great choice. Love baking with you.
Paula said…
This is my first visit to your blog. Congratulations on your marriage. May God bless you with many happy years together.

Your cake looks delicious. Hadn't thought of using cherries like you mentioned but that does sound good too.
Flourchild said…
Thank you for hosting this week and for picking such a great recipe. I loved it and so did my family!
YOur cake loos very good!
Cindy said…
Thanks for a great choice, it was one delicious dessert!
Nichicakes said…
Great choice this week, your looks luscious!
Valerie Gamine said…
Gorgeous colours!
Thanks for picking a delicious cake for this week's TWD. I loved this one. :D
Gourmified said…
I did an almond and peach twist on mine and it was TO DIE FOR!!! Great selection! It was fun baking with you this week!

Lisa
gourmified.blogspot.com
Stephanie said…
You made a great choice! It was such an easy recipe to work with. Your cake looks delicious!
Emily Rose said…
Thanks for a fabulous selection! I have been wanting to make this cake for a very long time and we loved it!! I will be making it over and over again this Fall!
Nancy/n.o.e said…
Thanks for a wonderful pick; this cake was lovely. And so versatile, too! Great job on your pretty version!
Jaime said…
finally!! so glad you picked this recipe and made me try it - i've been dying to forever! too bad i couldn't find cranberries...need to make it again in a few months when i can! thanks for hosting :)
Criollobylisa said…
The slice of cake looks really yummy. I did peach and raspberries. I'd love to try the cranberries!
Judy said…
Thanks for choosing this cake. It's the first upside-down cake I've ever liked! I'll be making this many times.
TeaLady said…
THIS was a great pick. A great beginning to fall baking. And it is beautiful.
TeaLady said…
THIS was a great pick. A great beginning to fall baking. And it is beautiful.
margot said…
I'm so happy you picked this cake! I've been wanting to make it forever. Yours looks terrific and I'm glad it was a hit.
natalia said…
Ciao Sabrina ! This defiitely was a great choice !! Thank you !!!
Mary said…
This was a wonderful start to fall pick. I made the peach version and I can't wait to make the cranberry version soon. Thanks and enjoy your week as TWD princess!
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for picking this one - even though I didn't participate this week, I've made it a couple of times before and it always gets raves. Your cake looks so great - makes me wish fall would hurry up and get here.
Beth said…
What a wonderful recipe choice. Fruit desserts are always my favorites.
i went with peach this time, but can't wait to make cranberry--it looks gorgeous! thanks for a great pick!
dorie said…
I had hoped to visit on Tuesday, but, but, but ... but the wait was worth it. Your cake looks great and yes, perfect for this time of year. Although I always keep cranberries in my freezer and so I make this cake even in the winter.
Have been looking for a dessert for Thanksgiving and I think I have found it. We are going to a family dinner of 30 (oh no) and really wanted to make something with cranberries, thank you so much.
What a fun pick! Even my cooked fruit hating husband liked it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Clothespin Wreath

Glitter House