Yocky Yocky!

I have plans to go out tonight, so the likely hood of making this squash recipe below is pretty slim. However, I will make this in the near future and sit and indulge. A note on squash: When I was a wee girl, I really didn't like squash, or any vegetable for that matter. But since I was a compliant child until the age of 12, I just went along with what my mom made for dinner, and didn't say a peep. Well one night, maybe around the age of 8, and a squash night too, I sat there swirling and mashing my squash into oblivion, wishing I could have something else to eat. "Why must I eat this gross squash", I thought to myself, "It tastes like crap and smells funny too!" So in one triumphal move, I raised my fist to the sky and in a loud voice I chanted, "YOCKY, YOCKY!" Not Yucky, but Yocky! Maybe I thought by saying "yocky" I had found the loop hole out of punishment. Yucky is not something you say to your mother's cooking, but maybe yocky would make a statement, without getting disciplined? So as I was pumping my fist in the air yelling Yocky Yocky, my brother joined in, and together we had our own version of Mutiny on the Bounty, or Mutiny on the Squash I guess.... Needless to say, my mom didn't find it too amusing.
Now I love squash, no rebellious cries any longer. But once in awhile my brother and I will be eating and we will look at each other and declare, "Yocky, Yocky" just for giggles...

ROASTED ACORN SQUASH WITH CHILE VINAIGRETTE
2 (1 1/2 - to 1 3/4-lb) acorn squash
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh hot red chile, including seeds
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 450°F. Halve squash lengthwise, then cut off and discard stem ends. Scoop out seeds and cut squash lengthwise into 3/4-inch-wide wedges. Toss squash with black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl, then arrange, cut sides down, in 2 large shallow baking pans. Roast squash, switching position of pans halfway through roasting, until squash is tender and undersides of wedges are golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.While squash roasts, mince garlic and mash to a paste with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Transfer paste to a small bowl and whisk in lime juice, chile (to taste), cilantro, and remaining 1/4 cup oil until combined. Transfer squash, browned sides up, to a platter and drizzle with vinaigrette.

Comments

K and/or K said…
ESPN!! I made squash tonight and topped it with the smoked paprika you gave me! This is getting creepy...

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Clothespin Wreath

Shabby Apple Dress Giveaway

TWD - Cranberry Upside-Downer