Les Miserables Lives On...

In 1992 when I was 15 years old, I worked\camped at a little ol' camp called Camp Shamineau (Whoop Whoop EV Free!!!) Anyway, it was the first summer that I was old enough to be a CIT (Counselor in Training) after years of idolizing the counselors as a camper. That summer I befriended a girl, Erin Van Vonderen. We had crazy fun and lots of little adventures all summer long. Erin would always be signing these pretty little songs that would just stick in your head. And so one day I asked her what she was always singing and she said, "It's Les Mis of course!" Thus began my love affair. I went home that fall and promptly purchased the Les Miserables cassette tape! and began to memorize every song. I knew that there was a book, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, but had not read it. So I also bought a copy and read the abridged version. As soon as I got my driver's licence i purchased tickets to Les Mis at the Ordway and Erin and I went to see a real live Les Mis production. I felt so grown up and proud to be doing this all on my own. I thought the music on my little tape was spectacular, but when I saw the production live, I was blown away, I think I cried! Then the obsession really began. I named a cat Marius after one of the main characters, and i vowed if I ever had a daughter I would name her Cosette. My dream was to perform as either Fantine or Eponine on Broadway, although the Ordway would be just fine too! I have since seen Les Miserables over a dozen times. I have also read the Unabridged version of the book.. chunk by chunk, but I did it... I am constantly struck by the beauty of the themes of Les Miserables, Love and Redemption, Forgiveness and the Triumph of the Human Spirit.
So this Sunday night, I went with Cindy, Shannon and Ellen to see Les Miserables at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre. It was a very well done production, and I must admit i was a little hesitant about seeing it there, since I have always seen it at the Ordway, but I was very impressed. And of course, it never ever, fails to move me... Someday I hope to see it in Paris, all done in French. And I'm still haven't given up my dream of being either Fantine or Eponine. And while I'm at it, I'm still naming my daughter Cosette!

P.S. If you're wondering about my cat Marius, he's still keeping it real on the farm at age 15!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Clothespin Wreath

Shabby Apple Dress Giveaway

TWD - Cranberry Upside-Downer