Nerd Fleurs

Part of the reason of wanting to own a house is for the gardening. I am a lover of flowers and plants... and i so desperately miss have a garden of my own. I do like growing vegetables but there is something about flowers that bring me complete happiness. Kelly asked me to blog about the types of flowers i am going to grow. Now this totally opens up a can of worms... where to begin? I have had a vision for the most amazing garden for years... but that would be a huge project and this back yard I'm obtaining is not that large. Although the backyard is already beautifully landscaped with many perennials and rose bushes. There is a fountain and a trellis gazebo that i am so excited to grow vines and morning glories around it and create a little hidden oasis for al fresco lunches in the summer. I am going to mostly focus my energy on planting annuals... although I really want to grow my 2 favorite flowers... dahlias and hollyhocks.
Dahlias are tubers and I hope that it will not be too late to plant by the time i move in and hollyhocks are bi-annuals and they are tricky.
For annuals i am thinking a mix of sunflowers, cosmos, zinnias, marigolds, petunias, snapdragons, pansies and others as i make my final decisions.
Im sure i will grow some gladiolas too. I will have to wait and see what comes up as far as perennials, so perennials might come later in the fall. Plus i will have a delish herb garden for all my cooking needs... mmmm fresh basil, thyme and cilantro! I have theories about growing flowers and plants that i will not get into, which would most certainly add to my nerdiness. Growing something isn't just sticking a seed in the ground and hoping it will grow... no no no, there are methods and techniques that are crucial for proper gardening.

Sometimes i wonder if i just have uber-nerd written all over me? I like all genres of literature, but i am a closet science fiction geek. I have my own theories on parallel universes and time travel and if i were better at math i just might be a quantum physicists. I work in a library, I am in love with literature. And plants are exciting and i almost went to school for botany. NERD!
And yet i play flaky really well as not to scare people with my nerdiness. Maybe i should just learn to embrace it! HOWEVER! you will never see me at a Star Trek convention! ew.

Comments

K and/or K said…
Sabrina, you are so Quirky! Get it, Quirk? Get it, physics? I am enjoying our new found shared interest in Governing Dynamics--who knew! Just think what else we could enjoy about each other if we would come out of all of our nerdy closets!
Ky
jodilee0123 said…
My hubby loves to garden! We can't wait to see what comes up this year. . .(we planted a bunch of flowers late in the season and the dog kind of wrecked them.) Maybe you guys can start a trading party for plants!
I am so jealous of this particular kind of nerdiness. Maybe you'll be my plant/flower/herb/veggie nerd teacher!
You know, flowers are very mathmatical.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Clothespin Wreath

TWD - Cranberry Upside-Downer

Glitter House